03 May Why is Income Protection so important?
Losing the ability to earn an income could be a financial headache.
Your income is your most important asset as it allows you to maintain your current lifestyle, if you take a moment to think about it, the money you earn pays for almost everything you have… mortgage, car loan, bills, children’s education, insurance and so on. The financial headache you face when an illness or accident prevents you from earning a living can be severe. How would you maintain your present lifestyle in the weeks, months or even years in which you are unable to work?
Even for those with savings in the bank, a long term illness or period of time out of work could mean real financial hardship if there was no cover in place.
An Income Protection Policy will provide you with an alternative income should you suffer an illness or injury which prevents you from working.
- You can cover up to 75% of your earnings
- Choose when you want the payments to start (Standard Initial deferred periods of 13,26 or 52 weeks)
- You can choose a guaranteed level premium option where premiums will remain the same even in the event of a claim.
- Premiums qualify for Tax Relief at your marginal rate.
- As long as you have Income Protection your savings are not at risk.
- Pays a daily replacement income if you are in hospital for more than 7 days during the deferred period.
Income Protection is even more important for the self-employed as you will not benefit from Social Welfare Illness Benefit or the Invalidity Pension. And for an employee this benefit is only €9,776 if earning are greater than €300 p.w.
In summary Income Protection is designed to provide both you and your dependants with financial security. Don’t be without it. Take 2 minutes to watch the short video.